Thursday, June 5, 2008

Just for whale watchers

Each spring and early summer I try to make an effort to go whale watching from the shore of the Oregon coast. The past 3 spring trips I have also been fortunate enough to be invited on board one of the many research vessels in the area to view the whales up close. None of those trips have produced a whale sighting! I have actually had better luck with my binoculars sighting whales from the shoreline.

Oregon has some fantastic coastal parks and recreation areas that have numerous whale watching platforms. Many marine biologists offer to man those platforms as guides to people coming out to the coast to catch a glimpse of the whale migration. The service they provide is invaluable.

Now I only wish the weather would get better for my trip. The forecast for the next 4 days is nothing but rain.

No comments: