Saturday, October 9, 2010

What I wanted to be when I grew up

I think when I was in junior high school I wanted so badly to be a veterinarian. At the time you had to have straight A's in high school and of course the money to get into the state college program....so that was out. I was not a straight A student. More like a straight B with a few C's and an occasional A thrown in here and there.

Being a pet doctor was out, so what was next? A teacher suggested that I might try for a forestry degree when I got out of high school. My parents would not support that career. I guess the thought of their little girl being a forest ranger was a bit too much for them. I would have loved it. Of course after I got out of high school I went to work for a few years before continuing on with college.

Before I went back to college I tried one career that I hated with a passion. I became a CNA. I thought that healthcare jobs was the way to go. Everyone kept telling me the future lies with taking care of sick and old people. They maybe right but it was not for me.

So then I embarked on my career in marine biology. I take breaks from college and I am not there full time so it will take many years before I get through to my goal. I refuse to take out student loans so my goal is many, many years away yet. It sure beats that CNA career.

No comments: