Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Some people just don't get it

I was talking to an acquaintance a few days ago when she happened to make the statement of "helping the environment is a matter of choice", she then added "if I want to recycle or not, that is up to me and no one is going to tell me otherwise".

I just shook my head and did not have an answer to her statement simply because arguing with people with a mind set like that is like beat your head against a brick wall, it doesn't help the matter and it only makes you feel worse.

When will people like that wake up and smell the Earth dying? When will she realize that her very existence depends on her steps to recycle, preserve and waste less. Only a few hours before that conversation she was talking about the "crazy weather" and how the drought in California and the floods in the mid-west will affect the price of food in the coming months.

I am slowly coming to realize that the great majority of people in this world are only concerned about getting from one week to the next without losing a place to live or having enough to eat rather than thinking about the ultimate place to live - our Earth.

No comments: