Thursday, June 25, 2009

Low tide at the coast


We are currently experiencing some of the lowest tides of the year at the central Oregon coastline. Yesterday at 8:15 am was a tide that was 3 feet below normal. Being that I am not a person to miss out on such an opportunity to go to one of my favorite spots at low tide I made the 1.5 hour trip to the coast early in the morning.

It seemed like many other amateur marine biologists had the same idea, many of them rv camping. The beach I went to was Seal Rock and the parking lot was at almost capacity but I found a spot to park. The weather was clear and mild but that changed dramatically a few hours later.

Normally there are seals in the water and the tide pools are not that well visited. This time the number of people had increased 20 times. I normally see only 10 other people on the beach. That number had grown to at least 150-200 people on the 1/2 stretch of beach. It was summer and parents were taking their kids to see the starfish, barnacles and sea anemones. of course there were plenty of adults that were acting like this was the first time they had ever seen a tide pool.

No comments: