Thursday, July 8, 2010

Nursing a non-water baby

I have been busy the last 5 days. A family member disturbed a nest of newborn deer mice and I have been feeding and caring for them for the last 4 days. Momma deer mouse never returned to the nest for the first 18 hours after the nest was disturbed and the baby mice were getting extremely cold.

I had a crash course in deer mouse rescue. I happened to have some powdered kitten formula but all of the online help mentioned puppy formula or some form of natural protein powder, which means powdered milk.

So far out of the 4 mice, only one has survived this long. Each one has died about 24 hours apart so far. I have been feeding and cleaning them every 3-4 hours, including during the night. It is the middle of the afternoon right now and I am ready for a nap.

You are probably asking why I am doing this, after all it is just a few mice. It is just my nature, to help others, including the smallest of animals. I am just that way.

No comments: